Since getting my instrument rating last September, I've become interested in "electronic flight bag" solutions for charts and instrument procedures. I looked at different applications and platforms, but what I'm using at the moment is the Foreflight application on the apple iPad.
When I went looking for applications, one feature I felt was very important was the ability, when flying IFR, to switch between the IFR en-route chart and an instrument procedure and back with the minimum amount of interaction. You can do that in Foreflight with a single click in either direction.
Here's a video of me demonstrating two things on Foreflight. First, bringing up a new instrument procedure from the en-route chart, and then flipping back and forth between that procedure and the chart.
I'm used to driving my New Beetle around. However, in our recent
trip to northern Minnesota, we drove the Taurus, which is mostly my
wife's car. It hauls a lot more, so it was the right car for this
trip, but it was slightly odd to be driving it so much over a couple
of weeks. So in commemoration of how well that trip went, here was my
happy place at the wheel of the taurus:
I got to go sailing again for the first time in...what might have
been over 10 years. I
sailed to the island in the middle of the lake where there's a sandy
beach. This view has the boat I saidled there in (with sail furled).
The view is back along the route I took. My Uncle's cabin, my home
base, is just around the corner of the shore where the green arrow
This entry is a test of the multi-category feature of my blog. This is an aviation entry.
In the spring and early summer of 2011 I got signed off in my club's Cessna 182, which also includes a high-performance endorsement. This means that I now have access to a nice, long-range airplane that I can fly for long trips.
Here's the first test for a while with the current versions of all the scripts for the flat file blog 0.3 alpha cantidate 1.
I've spent the evening removing all the hard-coded stuff from the old stale version of the master php file and putting it into proper preamble files. This seems to have done it; the title is working properly, and the sidebar navigation. If this entry instantiates correctly, then we're ready to start using the blog again.